1) Teams will be staying in the former Blackwater School in Blackwater, Virginia. The school is located on VA 604 / A J Osborne Highway, across the road from the Blackwater Primitive Baptist Church (also known as Big Door). The GPS coordinates are 36.630613, -83.033868. Cell phone use is sketchy at the school (Verizon seems to work best) but can easily be had a short distance from the school as well as internet reception.
2) Plan to arrive around mid-afternoon or later on the Sunday you are scheduled to arrive. We usually plan to eat Supper around 6:00 PM. If you are going to arrive later, no problem. Just let us know if you will eat your supper on the road.
3) Sleeping quarters are in two separate classrooms: Girls in one and Boys in another. There are 3 private bathroom/showers and 2 half-baths.
Everyone will need to bring their own twin sized sheets, blankets, and pillows (or sleeping bags). Our bunkbeds have hospital style mattresses. You also need to bring basic toiletry items including towels. Toilet tissue is provided by MHM. ** There is a 3rd classroom area with beds that can be used for leaders and/or couples and families.**
4) Items such as fans, extension cords/cord bars, water bottles, flashlights, work gloves, insect repellants, sunscreen, and snack items are recommended.
5) Our meals will consist of the following: Breakfast - cereals, eggs, bacon and/or sausage, biscuits, fresh fruit, milk, juice, coffee, etc.
Lunches - sandwiches, chips, cookies, etc. Dinners/Suppers - full course meals including meat, vegetables, and desserts as well as Southern Sweet Tea. Our MHM cooks will be preparing the Breakfast meals and Dinner meals, unless otherwise arranged by larger groups. Teams will be responsible for fixing and packing their own lunches. MHM will have all basic items needed in our kitchen to prepare the lunches. We have several refrigerators and freezers for food storage and any medications that would require refrigeration.
6) There is a Walmart nearby in Jonesville, VA. It is a scenic 20-25 minute drive across the mountain.
7) Mode of Dress: Long shorts or pants (jeans or capris are fine), T-shirts, sweatshirts, sneakers, and sandals are okay for everyday wear. Dress modestly! Bring swimsuits and hiking shoes/boots or closed toed sandals. There will be an opportunity to swim and hike on Thursday at our weekly cookout at the Natural Tunnel State Park.
8) Materials to Bring (Voluntary): Teams usually ask us what they could bring. We suggest items such as cleaning materials, paint supplies, food items, and toiletry items. These are donated items used at the ministry outreach sites.
9) Small basic hand tools and battery or electric powered tools are good to bring for basic home repair.
10) Bring your Bibles and any musical instrument for worship. We will have devotions and debriefs everyday.
11) There is a laundry mat a short distance from the school, if needed.
12) Departure is on Friday of your scheduled week, after our final devotion and everything is packed up and the building is cleaned.
***If you need additional info, please let us know. We are here to serve you!***